Smart socket and WiFi plug are other names for smart plugs.
A smart outlet is an electrical outlet that can be controlled remotely and intelligently through smart home systems. Smart outlets allow you to turn electronics on and off using your smartphone, tablet, or other smart home devices.
Smart outlets look similar to traditional electrical outlets, but they have built-in Wi-Fi connectivity which allows them to connect to your smart home network. Once set up, you can control the outlets from anywhere using an app. You can turn lights, fans, televisions, and other electronics on and off as needed.
Many smart outlets also allow you to set schedules and automation to turn devices on and off automatically based on the time of day or triggers like motion sensors. Some outlets provide energy monitoring features so you can see how much power your devices are using.
Smart outlets are a simple but effective way to make your home smarter and more automated without needing to replace your existing electronics and appliances. They work with most standard 110V electronics and are easy to install by simply replacing your current outlets.
There are several benefits to using smart outlets in your home:
- Convenience – Easily turn devices on and off from anywhere using your smartphone. No more getting up to manually flip a switch.
- Energy efficiency – Turn devices off when not in use to save energy. Monitor energy usage to determine the biggest energy hogs in your home.
- Automation – Set schedules and automations to turn devices on and off automatically based on time of day, your location, or triggers from other smart home sensors.
- Safety – Turn devices on and off remotely to make your home appear occupied when you’re away. Can give the illusion of someone being home as a deterrent against burglary.
- Works with your existing devices – Smart outlets allow you to keep using the electronics and appliances you already own. No need to replace them just to gain smart controls.
- Peace of mind – Get notifications if a device is left on when it’s usually off. Gives you an extra layer of awareness and control over the electronics in your home.
- Affordability – Smart outlets are an affordable way to add smart home functionality without a major investment. They range from $20 to $50 per outlet.
Why smart plugs can control with WiFi and mobile phone?
Smart plug can control with WiFi and mobile phone because it has built-in Wi-Fi module which can connect to home WiFi network. Once connected, you can remotely control the smart plug using mobile apps to turn on/off the connected devices. You can also set automation schedules or voice controls through smart speakers to control the smart plug.
Some key points about how smart plugs work:
- Smart plugs connect to your home WiFi network. They have a built-in WiFi module that allows them to connect to your wireless network. This gives them internet connectivity and the ability to be controlled through mobile apps or voice assistants.
- Smart plugs can be controlled remotely through mobile apps. The companion apps, available for iOS and Android, allow you to turn a smart plug on or off from anywhere. You can see the status of each plug and control them individually or in groups.
- Smart plugs allow you to set schedules and automations. In the mobile app, you can set schedules to turn plugs on and off automatically at certain times each day or on certain days of the week. You can also set up automations based on triggers like motion sensors, temperature sensors, etc.
- Smart plugs work with smart speakers and voice assistants. If you have smart speakers like Amazon Echo or Google Home, you can use voice commands to control your smart plugs. Just say something like “Alexa, turn on the living room lamp” to control a plug.
- Smart plugs monitor energy usage. Many smart plugs provide energy monitoring features so you can see how much power the devices plugged into them are using. This can help you determine the biggest energy consumers in your home.
- Smart plugs make your existing devices smart. Smart plugs allow you to keep using the electronics and appliances you already own. You can plug anything into a smart plug to gain wireless, app and voice control over the device. No need to replace your devices just to add smart functionality.